Thursday, March 24, 2011

Product Review: Bare Minerals Foundation

I got a sample of this product a long time ago and finally got around to trying it.  Here's my take:

Take Your Pick
It now comes in two varities:  "Original" and "Matte".  "Original" is pretty shiny-looking.  It kind of looks like it contains the same stuff they put in bronzers.  It's that kind of look, anyway - not oily, just shiny.  I haven't tried "matte", so I don't know how it looks.  It comes in a pretty decent selection of colors.

Variable Coverage
The coverage you'll get from this mineral powder foundation depends on the brush you use.  Basically, the more bristles (or the denser the bristles are), the more coverage you'll get.  You can still put your usual concealers under the foundation if you need selective coverage.  Brush suggestion:  Eco Tools Retractable Kabuki Brush.  ($11.50 at Ulta & Target - sometimes on sale at Ulta.  These brushes hold up well to repeated washings, if you do it right.)

Good for Everyday Use
Unlike many foundations, this one has a "natural" look, so you can even use it on days you don't want to look "made-up". 

Feels Better than Liquid
When I'm wearing this foundation, I don't feel like I have a layer of gunk on my face, which is nice.  It's so not-noticeable that sometimes I forget I'm wearing makeup.  (I rarely leave my home without makeup, so this stuff has the odd side effect of causing me "I forgot makeup!?!?!" panic moments, until I remember that I did put it on.)

Better for Skin
I don't know if it's the "minerals" or that it's a powder, but my skin feels better than when I use liquid makeup, and I haven't gotten any blemishes since I started using it.  It's easier to remove than the makeup that I usually use, too.  They say you can sleep in it, but that's weird to me.  But at least if I stagger upstairs late at night, I can get it all off with a face cleansing wipe.  Also, it has SPF 15 built in, so it will protect you from those nasty, aging UV rays.

On an Unrelated Note:
DO NOT try to get "Pur Minerals" brand, even if it's less expensive.  Their foundation is icky.  It feels like you're putting cornstarch on your skin compared to Bare Minerals smooth loveliness.



Cost:  $25 for "original", $28 for "matte",  $60 for various "starter kits" - some prices lower at amazon.com!!!
Available at:  Ulta, Sephora, www.beauty.com, www.amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment